Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Dogs and Impatience

What My Dog Teaches Me About Impatience

It is interesting what you can learn about yourself from your pets. I too my dog Smash to the veterinarian today for his yearly shots. However, I noticed that as we waited he started to become impatient. He began to fidget as we waited for his doctor. He also began to shine and whimper. He is not usually like this. Usually, Smash is patient and waits calmly in the room, but not today.

After the doctor came into the room Smash calmed down, but he was ready to go as soon as the doctor said he was finished. We walked into the waiting room where Smash began to pull on his leash; he was trying to greet another dog. I decided to let him make friends and after that he was ready to go.

I think I often get this way. I become impatient having to wait. Every time I have to go to my doctor I have to wait and I find myself becoming impatient the longer I wait. I have heard it said that "patience is a virtue", and others say that "waiting is a waste of time". However, when I hae patient I find that things run much smother; I feel less stressed, and I am much happier.

So why do I become impatient? Sometimes because I just get in a hurry. Other times it is because I become tired. Often it is because I become irritated with others and even myself. The later seems to be the most common time when I become impatient.

Irritation plays a big part in my impatience, and this is also seen in Smash. Over the past few months Smash has developed skin allergies (irritations). He constantly wants to be scratched and rubbed. Don't get me wrong here; I love my dog, and I enjoy scratching and rubbing him; Smash is a very lovable dog.

Whenever I see him like scratch it reminds me that I often let the small irritations of life take over and I show it by my impatience. I have to be reminded to let the small things go and focus on the big picture of life.

What do you see in your pets? Watch them for they will teach you about yourself and even how to deal with life.

To learn more about my dog Smash and some other fun pet teachings go to


No comments:

Post a Comment